George A. Romero: Between Night and Dawn
- Street Date:
- November 14th, 2017
- Movie Release Year:
- Release Country
- United States
Horror, Mystery, Drama
Lane Carroll, Jan White, Will MacMillan, Raymond Laine, Harold Wayne Jones, Ann Muffly
George A. Romero
George Romero's name may be synonymous with the living dead subgenre, but his filmography is far richer and more varied than his reputation as "the zombie guy" would suggest. Following the breakout success of his debut feature Night of the Living Dead, the director would embark upon a series of projects which, whilst firmly rooted in the horror genre for the most part, demonstrate a master filmmaker with more than mere gut-munching on his mind.
In There's Always Vanilla, Romero's sophomore 1971 directorial effort, young drifter Chris and beautiful model Lynn embark upon a tumultuous relationship which seems doomed from the outset. 1972's Season of the Witch (originally filmed as Jack's Wife but released to theaters under the title of Hungry Wives) follows the exploits of Joan Mitchell – a housewife whose dissatisfaction with her humdrum life leads to an unhealthy interest in the occult. Lastly, 1973's The Crazies, which sees Romero returning to more "straight" horror territory, has a small rural town finding itself in the grip of an infection which send its hosts into a violent, homicidal frenzy.
Taken together, these three early works, made in the period between Romero's celebrated living dead outings Night of the Living Dead and Dawn of the Dead, serve to display the broader thematic concerns and auteurist leanings of a skilled craftsman too often pigeonholed within the genre.
- Reversible sleeves for each film featuring original and newly-commissioned artwork by Gilles Vranckx
- Limited Edition 60-page booklet featuring new writing on the films
- Brand new 2K restoration of 'There's Always Vanilla' from the original negative
- Brand new 4K restoration of 'Season of the Witch' from original film elements
- Brand new 4K restoration of 'The Crazies' from original film elements
- English SDH
- Brand new audio commentaries for all three films by Travis Crawford
- And More!