- Street Date:
- April 17th, 2018
- Movie Release Year:
- Arrow Video
- 107 Minutes
- Release Country
- United States
Sam Neill, Ian Mune, Warren Oates
Adapted from C.K. Stead s novel Smith s Dream, Sleeping Dogs almost single-handedly kickstarted the New Zealand New Wave, demonstrating that homegrown feature films could resonate with both local and international audiences, and launching the big-screen careers of director Roger Donaldson (No Way Out, Species) and Sam Neill (Jurassic Park, Possession).
Neill in his first lead role in a feature plays Smith, a man escaping the break-up of his marriage by finding isolation on an island off the Coromandel Peninsula. As he settles into his new life, the country is experiencing its own turmoil: an oil embargo has led to martial law and civil war, into which Smith reluctantly finds himself increasingly involved.
Co-starring Warren Oates (Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia) as the commander of a US army unit drawn into the conflict, Sleeping Dogs is simultaneously a political thriller, a personal drama and a true landmark in New Zealand cinema.
- FIRST PRESSING ONLY: Illustrated collector s booklet featuring new writing on the film by Neil Mitchell, a contemporary review by Pauline Kael and the original press book
- Original mono audio (uncompressed LPCM)
- Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard-of-hearing
- Commentary by writer-director Roger Donaldson, actor Sam Neill and actor-writer Ian Mune
- The Making of Sleeping Dogs, a 65-minute documentary on the film s production featuring interviews with Donaldson, Neill, Mune, Geoff Murphy and others
- Theatrical trailer