Blu-Ray Releases Details
The Shootist (Arrow Limited Edition Blu-ray)
"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."
Legendary director Don Siegel (Dirty Harry) directs the iconic John Wayne as an ageing gunfighter dying of cancer in his final screen appearance, a superb adaptation of Glendon Swarthout's classic western novel, The Shootist.
John Bernard Books is the stuff of legend, a renowned 'shootist' whose reputation looms large. But it's 1901, and like the old west, John is dying and a reputation like his draws trouble like an outhouse draws flies. As word spreads that the famous gunfighter is on his last legs, the vultures begin to gather; old enemies, the marshal, newspaper men, an undertaker, all eager to see him dead. Other men might die quietly in bed or take their own lives, but J. B. Books will choose his executioner and face down death with a pistol in each hand.
With an outstanding cast that features not only Wayne, but James Stewart, Lauren Bacall, Ron Howard, Scatman Crothers and John Carradine, The Shootist is an elegiac ode to a monumental screen presence and to the Western genre itself.
- New 2K remaster by Arrow Films from the original 35mm camera negative
- High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) presentation
- Original lossless mono audio
- Optional English Subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
- Brand new audio commentary by filmmaker and critic Howard S. Berger
- The Last Day, a new visual essay by film critic David Cairns
- A Man-Making Moment, a new interview with Western author C. Courtney Joyner
- Laments of the West, a new appreciation of Elmer Bernstein's score by film historian and composer Neil Brand
- Contemplating John Wayne: The Death of a Cowboy, a new visual essay by filmmaker and critic Scout Tafoya
- The Shootist: The Legend Lives On, archival featurette
- Theatrical trailer
- Image gallery
- Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Juan Esteban Rodríguez
- Double-sided fold-out poster featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Juan Esteban Rodríguez
- Six postcard-sized lobby card reproductions
- Illustrated collector's booklet featuring new writing by film critic Philip Kemp
Good Burger 2 Cooks Up a Blu-ray Release on March 26!By:
Book That Dentist Appointment - HDD's 4K UHD & Blu-ray Shopping Guide, Feb 25, 2024By:
Complete Your Collection Screwheads! - Where to Find Sam Raimi Films on Blu-ray or 4K UHDBy:
Time To Get Your Fuzzy Pink Elephant - HDD's 4K UHD & Blu-ray Shopping Guide Feb 18, 2024By: