This disc has not yet been reviewed. The following information has been provided by the distributor.
Shot entirely on the wild, windswept island of Foula in the Shetlands, The Edge of the World is beautiful, thrilling, and profoundly moving. For cinema great Michael Powell (who went on to make such enduring masterpieces as The Red Shoes and I Know Where I'm Going!), this was his first important film and one that remained dear to his heart.
Two families living on a remote island off the coast of Scotland, the Mansons and the Grays, are united by friendship and the romance between young Ruth and Andrew. Ruth's brother Robbie plans to leave the island in spite of Andrew's objections, believing that there is no future living there. To settle their argument, the two men follow an ancient local tradition and race to the top of the island's 1,220-foot cliffs to see whose opinion should prevail. The outcome shatters the island's peace and splits the two clans apart.
• Audio commentary by Oscar®-winner Thelma Schoonmaker, film historian Ian Christie, and Oscar®-winner Daniel Day-Lewis reading from Michael Powell’s book on the making of the film
• Return to the Edge of the World (1979), in which Michael returns to Foula with the cast and crew
• An Airman’s Letter to his Mother (1941), Michael Powell’s WWII-era short film
• Alternative Scenes (1944, 9 minutes)
• Michael Powell’s Home Movies narrated by Thelma Schoonmaker
• Original Trailer