Jurassic World DominionOverview -
Reuniting Sam Neill, Laura Dern and Jeff Goldblum for one final outing, director Colin Trevorrow steers the presumably final installment Jurassic World Dominion to success as a decently amusing and fitting conclusion. Starring Chris Pratt and Bryce Dallas Howard, the fifth sequel is spectacular popcorn escapism that takes precedence over strong or even good storytelling but is ultimately forgettable as a lame attempt to capture the nostalgia of the original. The summer blockbuster debuts on Blu-ray with a spectacularly gorgeous HD video, a monstrous reference-quality DTS:X track but a rather puny selection of supplements. Nevertheless, the package comes Recommended for completists.
Experience the epic conclusion to the Jurassic era as two generations unite for the first time. Chris Pratt and Bryce Dallas Howard are joined by Oscar-winner Laura Dern, Jeff Goldblum and Sam Neill in a bold, timely and breathtaking new adventure that spans the globe. Four years after Isla Nublar has been destroyed, dinosaurs now live—and hunt—alongside humans all over the world. This fragile balance will reshape the future and determine, once and for all, whether human beings are to remain the apex predators on a planet they now share with history's most fearsome creatures.
BONUS FEATURES ON 4K ULTRA HD, BLU-RAYTM & DIGITAL*:
- EXTENDED VERSION – An extended cut of the film with 14 minutes of additional footage featuring more dinosaurs, action, iconic character moments and an alternate opening
- BATTLE AT BIG ROCK** – Directed by Colin Trevorrow, the short film takes place one year after the events of JURASSIC WORLD: FALLEN KINGDOM in Big Rock National Park.
- A NEW BREED OF VFX – VFX supervisor David Vickery and the magicians at ILM discuss the incredible visual effects work featured in JURASSIC WORLD DOMINION.
- DINOSAURS AMONG US: INSIDE JURASSIC WORLD DOMINION
- TOGETHER FOR THE FIRST TIME - Cast and filmmakers discuss the evolution of the franchise and the special union of characters from JURASSIC PARK and JURASSIC WORLD.
- UNDERGROUND DINO MARKET - Join filmmakers for a tour of the amazing dino market set and discover how they brought it to life.
- MAYHEM IN MALTA - A behind-the-scenes look at the Atrociraptor rooftop chase and Owen’s harrowing motorcycle ride through the narrow streets and alleyways of Malta.
- SCARY REAL
- SPIT TAKE: THE RETURN OF THE DILOPHOSAURUS - Live-action dinosaurs supervisor John Nolan and his team reveal how they created the impressive Dilophosaurus animatronic.
- INSIDE THE DIMETRODON - Learn how the filmmaking team operated the terrifying Dimetrodon animatronic and hear from Laura Dern and Sam Neill on what it was like working with it.
- CREATING A PLAGUE - Laura Dern and Bryce Dallas Howard discuss the enormous locusts featured in JURASSIC WORLD DOMINION and the creature effects team reveals how they were created and deployed.
- PASSING THE BATA..N- Discover the craftsmanship behind the realistic-looking Beta animatronic and hear from Chris Pratt and Isabella Sermon on why they enjoyed working with it.
- GIGA-BITE - Go behind the scenes with the cast of JURASSIC WORLD DOMINION as they are introduced to the biggest star of the film, the Giganotosaurus, for the very first time.
- FINAL NIGHT - Witness the emotional final night of filming with the cast and crew of JURASSIC WORLD DOMINION.
TECHNICAL INFORMATION BLU-RAYTM:
Street Date: August 16, 2022
Selection Number: 1000815029 (US) / 1000815064 (CDN)
Layers: BD 50
Aspect Ratio: Widescreen 16:9 2.00:1
Rating: PG-13 for intense sequences of action, some violence and language
Languages/Subtitles: English, French Canadian and Latin American Spanish
Sound: English (DTS: X for Feature and Dolby Digital 2.0 for Bonus Content), French Canadian (DTS-HD High Resolution Audio 7.1), Latin American Spanish (DTS-HD High Resolution Audio 7.1)
Run Time: 2 hours 26 minutes (Theatrical) 2 hours 40 minutes (Extended)
Storyline: Our Reviewer's Take
You can read our full thoughts on Jurassic World Dominion in our review of the 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray HERE.
Vital Disc Stats: The Blu-ray
Universal Studios Home Entertainment brings Jurassic Park Dominion to Blu-ray as a two-disc combo pack with a Digital Copy code. When redeeming said code, users also have access to the "Extended Version" as a featurette. The Region Free BD50 disc sits comfortably opposite a DVD-9 copy, and both come inside a blue, eco-elite case with a slipcover. The Blu-ray also includes the 161-minute extended cut of the movie, adding fourteen minutes of character development and some action filler that surprisingly works to the movie's benefit. After several skippable trailers, viewers are taken to a static menu with music playing in the background.
The final chapter in the decades-long dino saga dominates Blu-ray with a reference-quality 1080p/AVC MPEG-4 encode that sports razor-sharp definition from start to finish, and even the many CG sequences maintain exceptional clarity. Struck from a 4K digital intermediate, the freshly-minted transfer reveals the individual hairs and whiskers of the cast, the stitching in the costumes and the surrounding foliage, and facial complexions come with lifelike textures exposing minute, negligible blemishes. The contrast balance is somewhat subdued and restrained, supplying the action with an interestingly grey, dreary appeal, but whites are nonetheless clean and vivid with crisp highlights in the hottest areas. The deliberately stylized cinematography lightly affects the overall palette, but on the whole, primaries are full-bodied and accurately rendered while secondary hues are richly saturated and quite dynamic. Spot-on brightness levels also deliver deep, dark blacks and silky midnight shadows without engulfing the finer details, providing the 2.00:1 image with an appreciable three-dimensional appeal while a consistently thin layer of natural grain gives it a lovely film-like quality. (Video Rating: 96/100)
The latest installment roars into home theaters with the same monstrous, reference-quality DTS:X soundtrack enjoyed on the 4K Ultra HD edition. For a more in-depth take on the audio quality, you can read our review of the 4K Ultra HD HERE. (DTS:X Audio Rating: 96/100)
- "Battle at Big Rock" (2160p, 10 min) is a short film by director Colin Trevorrow that bridges the events of the previous movie to the plot of this final installment.
- Dinosaurs Among Us (HD) is a collection of five BTS featurettes exploring various aspects of the production
- Together for the First Time (5 min)
- Underground Dino Market (5 min)
- Mayhem in Malta (5 min)
- Scary Real Animatronics (26 min)
- Final Night (7 min)
- A New Breed of VFX (HD, 10 min)
Director Colin Trevorrow returns to the mega-blockbuster franchise about dinosaurs running amok with Jurassic World Dominion, the presumably final installment to the massively popular film series that also reunites Sam Neill, Laura Dern and Jeff Goldblum. Meanwhile, Chris Pratt and Bryce Dallas Howard reprise their roles as adoptive parents to the world's dino problem but provide little to no significance to the plot's larger themes. Nevertheless, the fifth sequel still manages to be a decently amusing and fitting conclusion that falls in line with the previous two entries where the visual spectacle takes precedence over strong or even good storytelling.
The summer blockbuster debuts on Blu-ray with a spectacularly gorgeous HD video and a monstrous, reference-quality DTS:X soundtrack, but Universal Studios Home Entertainment has culled together a rather puny selection of supplements. Overall, the package nonetheless comes recommended for completists.
All disc reviews at High-Def Digest are completed using the best consumer HD home theater products currently on the market. More about the gear used for this review.
Book That Dentist Appointment - HDD's 4K UHD & Blu-ray Shopping Guide, Feb 25, 2024By:
Complete Your Collection Screwheads! - Where to Find Sam Raimi Films on Blu-ray or 4K UHDBy:
Time To Get Your Fuzzy Pink Elephant - HDD's 4K UHD & Blu-ray Shopping Guide Feb 18, 2024By:
The Criterion Collection Dates & Details May 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray and Blu-ray ReleasesBy: