The Bad GuysOverview -
The Bad Guys is a non-stop comedic thrill ride in an animated form that has a wonderful cast of characters both consisting of animals and humans that is set during a couple of big heists. Taking its cues from past crime movies and a certain Kubrick film, The Bad Guys is a blast for the whole family to enjoy with some exquisite animation. The 1080p HD video transfer looks very good and the Dolby Atmos audio track sounds excellent. The bonus features are worth the watch as well. Highly Recommended!
After a lifetime of pulling legendary heists, five notorious bad guys--Mr. Wolf, Mr. Snake, Mr. Piranha, Mr. Shark and Ms. Tarantula--attempt their most challenging job yet...going good. Nobody has ever failed so hard at trying to be good as The Bad Guys, an all-new animated feature film from DreamWorks Animation.
EXCLUSIVE BONUS FEATURES ON DIGITAL, 4K UHd, BLU-RAYTM AND DVD:
- ALL-NEW ORIGINAL SHORT “MARASCHINO RUBY” - In this original DreamWorks animated short, The Bad Guys are at it again, but not in the way you think. They’ve gone good! Find out what happens to the team after they go rogue in this sweet original short.
- DELETED SCENES
- Original opening
- Snake Attack
- Extra Secret Base Tour
- You Can’t Fake Good
- Post Credits: Scientist Button
- DEVISE THE PLAN: MAKING THE BAD GUYS – From book to storyboard to the silver screen, join the cast and filmmakers as they devise how to bring The Bad Guys to life.
- ASSEMBLE THE CREW – Go face to face with the voices behind our favorite animated bad guys – Mr. Wolf, Mr. Snake, Mr. Shark, Ms. Tarantula & Mr. Piranha.
- IT'S SHOWTIME: CAST TABEL READ – Teamwork is the ultimate ingredient in pulling off a job without a hitch. now that they’ve agreed on the plan, it’s time to bring the cast of The Bad Guys together for their first table read.
- SNAKE'S FROZEN POP SHOP – Want to learn how to make your own version of Mr. Snake’s favorite frozen pops? With these easy recipes, you’ll be on your way to chill-ville in no time. Want to go the extra mile? Create your own frozen pop disguises.
- FROM THE DRAWING ROOM – Learn step by step from The Bad Guys head of story, Nelson Yokota, how you can create your very own storyboard and draw the film’s main characters
- How To Storyboard
- How To Draw Mr. Wolf, Mr. Snake, Mr. Shark, Ms. Tarantula, Mr. Piranha
- FEATURE COMMENTARY – Feature Commentary with Director Pierre Perifel, Producer Damon Ross, Head of Story Nelson Yokota, Head of Character Animation JP Sans, and Production Designer Luc Desmarchelier.
Storyline: Our Reviewer's Take
Based on the best-selling children's books by Aaron Blabey, The Bad Guys has transitioned into the feature film realm with a hilarious and meaningful story that contains stellar voice casting and top-notch animation with a super-quick, cool pace. The criminal masterminded bad guys here are led by the suave pickpocket Mr. Wolf (Sam Rockwell) who leads his team of other animal friends, including Mr. Snake (Marc Maron), Mr. Shark (Craig Robinson), Ms. Tarantula (Awkwafina), and Mr. Piranha (Anthony Ramos) that pays tribute in the best ways to iconic heist films. All ages are welcome in this movie as The Bad Guys satisfies everyone's funny bone along with some great messages about friendship, loyalty, and of course, change.
Directed by the lead animator of all the Kung-Fu Panda movies (Pierre Perifel) and written for the screen by Etan Cohen (Tropic Thunder, Idiocracy), The Bad Guys takes its shape, which is molded by some fantastic movies that came before it. The film starts out with a wonderful and hilarious homage to Pulp Fiction that quickly turns into Ocean's 11 territories. Even the characters joke, "Never go full Clooney". It's easy to see elements of Edgar Wright at play here with some intense, fun editing magic along with some Fast and Furious type of absurd action and even a little bit of Kubrick's A Clockwork Orange in relation to a criminal changing to a good citizen. Of course, some of the references will go over the younger generation's head, but for those adults, these jokes will land perfectly.
Read The Full Theatrical Review HERE...
Vital Disc Stats: The Blu-ray
The Bad Guys steal their way to Blu-ray + DVD + Digital Copy via Universal Studios. The discs are housed inside a hard, blue plastic case with a cardboard sleeve. The artwork features the animated characters of the movie in their '70s wardrobe. There is an insert for a digital code.
The Bad Guys come with a solid 1080p HD presentation that combines some amazing, different animation styles throughout the movie. The colors are robust and ooze an amazing amount of mid-century modern palettes to form their unique '70s visual style. Tans, browns, yellows, and the color of beige all look exquisite here. The sunny expositions in the outdoor animated sequences look amazing and drop with golden amber lighting. White levels are balanced and black levels are mostly inky, but have some murkiness to them. Primary colors of blues, reds, greens, and purples all look wonderful as well and contrast nicely with those lighter colors.
The detail is vivid as well with smooth animation fluidity and great closeups that reveal individual hairs and textures in the animal's skin and clothing. Background items and buildings in the distance also look detailed as well, never giving off a softer image. Unlike the 4K presentation, the filmic look and simulated grain aren't as present here. Still, this is a great-looking picture with no video problems to speak of.
This release comes with an amazing Dolby Atmos track that prioritizes balance and atmospherics rather than just loud noises. The sound effects are boisterous and dynamic with some nuanced sounds of technology sounding off, action sequences imploring explosions, vehicle chases, and debris falling down. Each of these sound elements comes with fantastic use of low-end bass that has a glorious rumble to it and never moves into an over-bearing, rocky territory. The score and needle drop always add to the film's fun and suspenseful comedy and utilize the full speaker systems.
Atmospheric sounds of animals running around, people talking or screaming, along with those cartoonish noises all sound wonderful. The height speakers give way to the bigger action sequences and animals running around on different height levels, along with some great reverb voices that are made to sound loud. This is a great-sounding Dolby Atmos track with a clear dialogue track that comes with zero issues.
- Audio Commentary - Director Pierre Perifel, Producer Damon Ross, Writer Nelson Yokota, Character Animator JP Sans, and Production Designer Luc Desmarchelier all come aboard to talk about the film. It's informative enough where everyone discusses the origins of the story, the books the film is based on, the characters, the style, influences, and tone of the movie. Unfortunately, there are no voice actors aboard, but for fans of the film and animation, this is a good listen.
- From The Drawing Room (HD, 16 Mins.) - Some separate segments on how to illustrate and draw characters and settings, specifically some of the characters from the movie.
- Snake's Frozen Pop Shop (HD, 7 Mins.) - A fun little extra that gives some frozen pop recipes and how to make them look cool.
- It's Showtime: Cast Table Read (HD, 6 Mins.) - A fun enough montage of some of the best moments from the virtual table read of the movie.
- Assemble the Crew (HD, 7 Mins.) - The voice cast of the movie talk about their characters and what they brought to the role, along with some clips of them in character.
- Devise The Plan: Making The Bad Guys (HD, 7 Mins.) - The cast and crew explore the original books, the characters, the big heist scenes, '70s style, tone, and more.
- Deleted Scenes (HD, 11 Mins.) - There are a few deleted scenes included here, one of which is a different post-credit sequence.
- Maraschino Ruby (HD, 4 Mins.) - A short sequence on a different heist with the characters.
The Bad Guys is a high-octane, super-fun, and highly entertaining animated film for the whole family that is modeled after some great heist movies and one certain Kubrick film. The voice-acting is amazing and the animation is out of this world. This is a great, original animated movie that everyone will enjoy. The 1080p HD Blu-ray looks very good and the Dolby Atmos track is dynamite. The bonus features are worth the time as well. Highly Recommended!
Good Burger 2 Cooks Up a Blu-ray Release on March 26!By:
Book That Dentist Appointment - HDD's 4K UHD & Blu-ray Shopping Guide, Feb 25, 2024By:
Complete Your Collection Screwheads! - Where to Find Sam Raimi Films on Blu-ray or 4K UHDBy:
Time To Get Your Fuzzy Pink Elephant - HDD's 4K UHD & Blu-ray Shopping Guide Feb 18, 2024By: