This disc has not yet been reviewed. The following information has been provided by the distributor.
Vittorio De Sica’s enchantingly playful neorealist fairy tale celebrating the nobility of everyday people—now on home video
Renowned filmmaker VITTORIO DE SICA followed up his international triumph Bicycle Thieves with this enchantingly playful neorealist fairy tale, in which he combines his celebrated slice-of-life poetry with flights of graceful comedy and storybook fantasy. On the outskirts of Milan, a band of vagabonds work together to form a shantytown. When it is discovered that the land they occupy contains oil, however, it’s up to the cherubic orphan Totò (Un ladro in paradiso’s FRANCESCO GOLISANO)—with some divine help—to save their community from greedy developers. Tipping their hats to the imaginative whimsy of Charles Chaplin and René Clair, De Sica and screenwriter CESARE ZAVATTINI (Umberto D.), adapting his own novel, craft a bighearted ode to the nobility of everyday people.
SPECIAL EDITION FEATURES
• New 4K digital restoration, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on
• New interview with neorealism expert and film scholar David Forgacs
• Audio interview from the late 1960s in which director Vittorio De Sica looks
back on his career, conducted by film critic Gideon Bachmann
• Interviews with actor Brunella Bovo and Manuel De Sica, the director’s son
• Feature-length documentary from 2019 on screenwriter Cesare Zavattini
• New English subtitle translation
• PLUS: An essay by film critic Christina Newland and, on the Blu-ray, “Totò
il buono,” a 1940 short story by Zavattini and stage actor Totò that is the
earliest version of the narrative on which Miracle in Milan is based