|BLU-RAY NEWS TAGGED "PLAYSTATION 3"||Receive Blu-ray News via RSS|
Sony Redesigns the PlayStation 3 – Announces 250GB and 500GB Models for U.S.
Tags: PlayStation 3, Sony, Game Industry Trends (all tags)
There’s also a special edition ‘Assassin’s Creed 3’ bundle in the works.
At the Tokyo Game Show, Sony just announced another redesign for the PlayStation 3 that slims the system down yet again. There are two different sizes coming – 250GB and 500GB.
The 500GB model will run $299 when it launches October 30th. The 250GB version will initially be offered as a bundle, which will come with the ‘Uncharted 3’ Game of the Year Edition and $30 worth of content in ‘Dust 514.’ The bundle will run $269 when it comes out on September 25th while the standalone system will cost $249. Sony has not yet announced a release date for the standalone system.
Europe and Hong Kong get one more option that we don’t – a 12GB version that uses flash memory instead of a standard hard drive. That’s going to run the equivalent of $389.
Bethesda Not Allowed to Release 'Fallout 3' and 'Oblivion' Bundle on PS3
Tags: PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, PC, Elder Scrolls, Fallout, Bethesda (all tags)
PC and Xbox 360 gamers will be able to pick it up this April.
Bethesda has announced a new double pack of both 'Oblivion' and 'Fallout 3' that will be coming out this April for the Xbox 360 and PC. The PC version will run $20 while Xbox owners will have to shell out $30 and there's currently no information as to whether or not DLC will be included.
As cool as that game release is, there's the question of a PS3 version. As it turns out, Bethesda wants to release the bundle on PS3 but can't. "At present we are not being allowed to release it on PS3," says a statement from the company. "We will continue to try to change that, and would release it if we are permitted."
New Sony President and CEO Kaz Hirai Says Sony Could be in "Serious Trouble"
Tags: Kaz Hirai, Sony, PlayStation 3 (all tags)
He'll be putting plans in place to turn the company around, but he definitely understands what the short-term future will look like.
Last week, Sony announced a new president and CEO - Kaz Hirai. Though he says that the company could be in "serious trouble," Hirai has big plans to turn Sony around.
For starters, he'll be strengthening the company's core businesses - digital imaging and gaming. Next up comes the challenge of turning around the TV business. He'll be considering collaborations with other companies and pushing Crystal LED and OLED technologies forward.
Gamers will certainly be familiar with the former SCEA/SCEI president from, among other things, his E3 reveal of the PlayStation 3 which turned phrases like "five hundred and ninety-nine US dollars," "giant enemy crab," and "Ridge Racer!" into internet sensations.
Though the PS3's initial launch was a disaster, Kaz quickly turned things around and made the PlayStation 3 into a relevant console that competes head-to-head with the Xbox for sales. Here's hoping he can do that with the rest of Sony.
Source: The Verge
Internet Based VOD numbers are Dire, but Streaming on Game Systems on the Rise
Tags: PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, Streaming, VOD, Industry Trends, Smartphones (all tags)
On average, PS3 owners are using a over a third of system time on Blu-rays and streaming.
Two studies came out recently with some very interesting information that seems conflicting at first glance. The first is that, according to the NPD, online VOD purchases are incredibly low. The second is that streaming on videogame consoles is on the rise.
Internet based VOD numbers account for all devices capable of renting a movie online. According to the NPD report, only five percent of those that can rent VODs are doing so. " It’s understandable that smartphone owners might be hesitant to watch a full-length movie with limited screens and battery life," says NPD's Russ Crupnick, "but few of the other connected devices are showing strong uptake for Internet VOD, either."
Game consoles, however, have been seeing increased usage as streaming and entertainment machines. Nilsen says that 15 percent of the time an Xbox user is on the system, they're watching streaming movies. The PS3 accounts for 15 percent as well, while Wii users devote 33 percent of their time to videos.
An impressive 22 percent of time using the PS3 is spent watching DVDs or Blu-rays, which brings the total movie watching time to 37 percent.
Source: Home Media Magazine
PS3 Software Version 4.0 Releases This Week
Tags: PlayStation 3, Firmware Updates, PlayStation Vita (all tags)
The system will be updated to play nice with the Vita, allowing you to use the system for content management and backup.
It's been a while since we've had an even numbered update to the PS3, which means that we're in for a big one. The primary features coming to the PS3 in the latest update are, as you might expect, related to the upcoming PlayStation Vita.
Patch 4.0 will let your PS3 act as a storage device of sorts for the Vita. You'll be able to transfer movies, games and even update software on the Vita using the PS3. You can back up saves too, which is essential, as anyone whose lost a memory card in the past will tell you.
The update also give PlayStation Plus members the ability to enable or disable automatic updates on games, system software, recommended titles and trophy information.
Of course, those are only the pre-patch notes. Once everything is up and running, Sony will release a full list of what's new and what was changed.
Source: PlayStation Blog
PlayStation Introduces Crackle Movie Sharing and Ustream to PS3
Tags: PlayStation 3, Crackle (all tags)
This may actually give you a reason to use PlayStation Home.
PlayStation Home has been a pretty big flop since the onset. It's a virtual space that you can inhabit while not playing games, but there isn't a lot of reason to use it.
Sony is adding content though, and hopes that their new offerings will attract people to the service. The latest addition is Crackle, a free movie service owned by Sony. The selection is limited, but the price is right.
Crackle has been on the PS3 for a while now, but Home integration offers something different. If you and your friends navigate to the LOOT section of Home, you can all watch a movie at the same time and communicate with voice and text while doign so. It's a nice way to enjoy a flick with your friend or have a movie date with that special someone while traveling.
In addition to Crackle, Ustream will be coming to PlayStation Home, as will RadioIO - both of which will have social experiences attached to them as well.
Source: PlayStation Blog
Latest PS3 model to be Slightly Lighter and Greener
Tags: Sony, PlayStation 3, PS3, High-Def Retailing, Industry Trends (all tags)
Continuing its evolution in the form of model number "CECH-3000B," an updated version of the PlayStation 3 will start shipping as soon as the current sock is depleted (according to Sony, beginning as early as this month). Though pricing should remain unchanged, the charcoal black, 320 Gb CECH-3000B will see a reduction in both power consumption (230W to 200W) and weight (3.0kg to 2.6kg).
Though detailed pictures have yet to surface, there have been rumors that there could be some minor exterior modifications as well to this updated PS3 Slim. Those include removing LED lamps and adjustments to certain external buttons such as Power and Eject. We'll have to keep our eyes peeled so see if these changes are actually noticeable. If any of you find yourselves with a CECH-3000B (or later) model PS3 in the next few months, hit up the forums and let us know what you think!
Sony's PlayStation 3 Hits 50 Million in Worldwide Sales
Tags: PlayStation 3, 3D Blu-ray, Blu-ray Players, High-Def Retailing, Industry Trends, 3D, PS3 (all tags)
The Move controller has done well too, coming in at a surprising 8 million.
When the PS3 first launched, sales were slow, systems sat on shelves and people balked at the high price. Now, a few price drops later and after the release of a new slimmer model, the PS3 is neck-and-neck with the Xbox 360 to be the most popular HD console on the market.
Part of the reason for the popularity of the system, and the primary reason for many buyers, is that the PS3 can act as not just a Blu-ray player, but a 3D Blu-ray player. It's updated regularly, it has Wi-Fi capabilities and access to streaming video sources. Oh, and it plays PS3 games too.
50 million PS3s sold means that there are 50 million Blu-ray players in houses that might otherwise not have upgraded. Possibly more significant in the coming years, it also means 50 million 3D capable Blu-ray players.
Source: PR Newswire
PlayStation 3 Banned in Europe - Shipments Seized
Tags: PlayStation 3, LG, Legal Cases (all tags)
A patent dispute between Sony and LG could mean a complete shutdown of European sales.
Lawsuits are nothing strange to major tech companies, but results are. Usually something like the current patent dispute between Sony and LG would be settled out of court, but it looks like things are starting to heat up.
A preliminary ruling in the Hague demands that all PlayStation 3s coming into Europe be confiscated by officials. Tens of thousands of systems have been seized already, according to the Guardian.
If the court decides to extend the injunction, retailers will have to start pulling PS3s off of the shelf. Potentially even worse for Sony, if the company is found to have infringed on LG's patents, Sony will have make financial compensation. That means LG will get a cut of every PS3 sold to date.
PS3 Getting a 3D Update in June – But it won’t do 3D Blu-rays
Tags: Sony, PlayStation 3, 3D, Industry Trends (all tags)
We’re about two months out from the first 3D firmware update for the Playstation 3, but it’s games only for now.
If you’re a PS3 owner hoping to start watching 3D Blu-rays by the time this summer rolls around, you’re out of luck. Sony is releasing a 3D update for the PS3 in just two months, but it’s only handling games for now.
It doesn’t seem like you’ll have to wait too long though. Sony has promised 3D Blu-ray compatibility this year, and all signs point to a fall release for the update. The move is almost certainly designed to spur the sale of 3D Blu-ray players, since ‘Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs’ will be hitting shelves (in Europe at least) in June.
The new update will enable users to play 3D games though, including new 3D versions of Wipeout HD, Pain, Motorstorm Pacific Rift and Super Stardust HD.
Source: Home Cinema Choice
MORE BLU-RAY NEWS TAGGED "PLAYSTATION 3":
- Don’t Turn On Your Old PS3!! – Warns Sony Mar 01, 2010
- PS3 Operating System Slims Down – New Features Could Come Soon (UPDATED) Feb 25, 2010
- Latest Playstation Update Causing Blu-ray Problems Feb 16, 2010
- CES 2010 Wrap-up: The Top Five Blu-ray Players Jan 14, 2010
- Sony Confirms 3D Gaming Firmware Update for PS3 Nov 23, 2009
- Review: Netflix Streaming on Sony’s PlayStation 3 Nov 11, 2009
- 'District 9' Blu-ray Includes 'God of War III' Demo for the PS3 Oct 30, 2009
- Sony Adds Netflix Streaming To PlayStation 3 Oct 27, 2009
- Sony Adds Netflix Streaming To PlayStation 3 Oct 27, 2009
- Class Action Lawsuit Filed Over PS3 Failures Oct 06, 2009
- $299 PlayStation 3 Slim Officially Announced and Detailed Aug 18, 2009
- 87 Percent of PS3 Owners Watch Blu-ray Movies Jul 09, 2009
- Trade-in 4 PS2 Games at Amazon, Save $50 on a PS3 Apr 13, 2009
- PS3 Update v2.3 released, Adds DTS-HD Master Audio (Updated) Apr 15, 2008
- PS3 Gets DTS-HD Master Audio Upgrade Apr 10, 2008
- PS3 BD-Live Update Now Available Mar 25, 2008
- PS3 BD-Live Firmware and Blu-ray Discs Due This Month Mar 20, 2008
- PS3 Holiday Sales Total 1.2 Million Jan 07, 2008
- PlayStation 3 Officially Goes Profile 1.1 Dec 18, 2007
- PS3 to Go Blu-ray Profile 1.1 With New Firmware Update Dec 17, 2007
- New Wal-Mart "Secret Sale" Details Confirmed Dec 06, 2007
- New Wal-Mart "Secret Sale" Details Confirmed Dec 06, 2007
- Sony: Price Cuts Double Weekly PS3 Sales Nov 15, 2007
- Blu-ray to Figure Prominently in Largest-Ever PS3 Marketing Campaign Nov 01, 2007
- It's Official: $399 PlayStation 3 to Hit US Oct 18, 2007
- Sony Says PS3 Firmware Upgrade Will Boost Blu-ray Interactivity Oct 11, 2007
- Sony Releases New Firmware Upgrade for the PlayStation 3 Jul 24, 2007
- Sony Confirms Plans to Phase Out 60GB PS3 Jul 17, 2007
- Amazon Bundles $499 PS3 with Free Remote and 'Memento' Blu-ray Jul 11, 2007
- It's Official: Sony Confirms PS3 Price Drop; Announces New 80Gb Model Jul 09, 2007
- Rumor Patrol: Retailers Report PlayStation 3 Price Drop Imminent (UPDATED) Jul 06, 2007
- Rumor Patrol: Sony "Won't Rule Out" PS3 Price Reduction Jun 06, 2007
- Sony Releases Software Update 1.80 for PS3, Adds 1080p Upscaling Capability May 25, 2007
- John Woo's 'Hard Boiled' to Make HD Debut in First Blu-ray Game/Movie Hybrid May 17, 2007
- Sony Touts Blu-ray Capabilities in New PlayStation 3 Marketing Push May 08, 2007
- Sony Pulls the Plug on 20GB PlayStation 3 Apr 12, 2007
- Digital Leisure to Bring 'Dragon's Lair' to Blu-ray Mar 20, 2007
- Sony Drafts James Bond to Usher in PlayStation 3 Euro Launch Feb 12, 2007
- First PS3, XBox HD DVD Add-On Sales Numbers Dec 14, 2006
- PS3 Update Changes Default HDTV Output Resolution Dec 07, 2006
- Bad Online Buzz, PlayStation 3 to Spell Doom for Blu-ray? Dec 07, 2006
- High-Def Penetration Explodes with Strong PlayStation 3, Xbox 360 Add-On Sales Nov 20, 2006
- Blu-ray for the Masses: PlayStation 3 Descends Upon America Nov 17, 2006
- PS3 Countdown: Sony Exec on Those Pesky Blue Laser Diodes Nov 09, 2006
- Sony to Bundle Blu-ray 'Talladega Nights' with PlayStation 3 Oct 19, 2006
- PS3 News: Sony Boss Defends Decision to Use Blu-ray in PlayStation 3 Oct 17, 2006
- PS3 Rumor Mill: Free 'Talladega Nights' Blu-ray to be Bundled with PlayStation 3? Oct 05, 2006
- PlayStation 3 Countdown: PS3 Blu-ray Remote Control Revealed Oct 03, 2006
- PlayStation 3 Rumor Mill: Sony to Ship PS3 with Blu-ray Demo Disc? Sep 25, 2006
- PlayStation 3 Goes TrueHD for Blu-ray Playback Sep 22, 2006
- 20GB PlayStation 3 Goes HDMI; Pricetag Dropped in Japan Sep 22, 2006
- PlayStation 3 Rumor Mill: PS3 Game Packaging Revealed? Sony to Bundle Free BD Movies with Games? Sep 18, 2006
- Sony Halves U.S. PlayStation 3 Shipments; European Launch Delayed Sep 06, 2006
- New PlayStation 3 Photos Reveal More Blu-ray Details Aug 31, 2006
- Photos: PlayStation 3 Blu-ray Playback Demo Aug 30, 2006
- High Price May Turn Off Consumers to Playstation 3 Despite Blu-ray, Says Analyst Jul 10, 2006
- Sony Exec Defends High Price of Blu-ray Enabled PlayStation 3 Jun 28, 2006
- Sony Won't Meet Blu-Ray Demand in 2006, Says Exec May 15, 2006
- No HDMI For Low-End PlayStation 3 Draws Ire of Gamers; Sony Brass Defends Decision May 12, 2006
- Sony Sets PlayStation 3 Price May 09, 2006
- Studios to Decide Winner in Next-Gen Game Wars, Says Analyst May 05, 2006
- As PlayStation 3 Launch Looms, Sony Drops Price on PlayStation 2 Apr 21, 2006