Posted Fri Jul 3, 2015 at 09:00 AM PDT by
The fifth season of the hit AMC series is headed for Blu-ray in August has been fully detailed.Continue Reading
Posted Fri Jul 3, 2015 at 07:00 AM PDT by
All 15 action-packed episodes of the hit series' first season will be charging through Blu-ray's blast doors this September.Continue Reading
- Posted Fri Jul 3, 2015 at 05:00 AM PDT by Steven Cohen
Posted Thu Jul 2, 2015 at 08:30 AM PDT by
The first four seasons of the acclaimed series are bound for Blu-ray again, this time with upgraded audio and Steelbook packaging.Continue Reading
Posted Thu Jul 2, 2015 at 08:00 AM PDT by
Buddy Cooper's horror flick will terrorize Blu-ray in September.Continue Reading
- Posted Thu Jul 2, 2015 at 06:00 AM PDT by Steven Cohen
Posted Wed Jul 1, 2015 at 01:00 PM PDT by
Two Jackie Chan flicks are hitting Blu-ray in October.Continue Reading
- Posted Wed Jul 1, 2015 at 12:00 PM PDT by Steven Cohen
- Posted Wed Jul 1, 2015 at 10:00 AM PDT by Steven Cohen
- Posted Wed Jul 1, 2015 at 08:00 AM PDT by Steven Cohen
Posted Wed Jul 1, 2015 at 06:00 AM PDT by
Four horror flicks are set to terrorize Blu-ray in 2015.Continue Reading
- Posted Tue Jun 30, 2015 at 12:30 PM PDT by Steven Cohen
Posted Tue Jun 30, 2015 at 12:00 PM PDT by
The studio has revealed two new Blu-ray releases for July.Continue Reading
- Posted Tue Jun 30, 2015 at 10:00 AM PDT by Steven Cohen
Posted Tue Jun 30, 2015 at 08:30 AM PDT by
In our continued series aimed at delivering you the best Dolby Atmos demos, let's roll our sleeves up and breakdown the format's latest Blu-ray disc. Starring Sean Penn and Javier Bardem, with cameos by Ray Winstone and Idris Elba, 'The Gunman' is an old fashioned political thriller about black ops assassin Jim Terrier (Penn) who must confront his past in order to find out who wants him dead. This film features an engaging and immersive Dolby Atmos soundtrack with numerous shootouts, explosions, and some interesting subjective-POV audio sequences
BEST SOUND EFFECT
Chapter 3: 00:12:31 - 00:13:35
This movie's called 'The Gunman' for a reason. The black ops assassin is called to do his job: shoot a man in a moving car at an impossible distance. The moment the call his made, the op a go, music filters into the overhead channels and the movie ramps up the tension. The audience desperately anticipating the moment Jim Terrier pulls the trigger. When it comes, it sounds much less like a single bullet, and more like an artillery shell arcing across a battlefield. We get the initial thunder of the gun shot, followed by the a very specific bullet which pans from left to center (also over our heads), and landing with a deafening, glass shattering thud. It's an impressive sequence and a great sound effect.
BEST DOLBY ATMOS MOMENT
Chapter 2: 00:06:07 - 00:06:21
A quickie, but a goodie for those who want to demonstrate their height channels and the biggest difference between Dolby TrueHD 7.1 and Dolby Atmos. In a fun transition moment, we cut from a brightly lit bedroom to a night-soaked jungle as an aircraft flies over the audience from the back of the sound field to the front. It might be a blink-and-you-miss-it moment, but this flyover reminds me of the early version of Dolby Atmos tested at the Dolby Labs "sandbox" -- it's an all-encompassing sound effect that is extremely lifelike and immersive.
BEST SUBJECTIVE CHARACTER POV
Are You Alright?
Chapter 7: 00:30:30 - 00:31:15
Great audio is about more than bullets and booms; it's about supporting the story. In 'The Gunman', Jim Terrier suffers from head trauma that manifests itself as a ringing headache and visuals that fall somewhere between passing out and hallucination. For this demo, we get a combination of swirling ear-ringing which tears around the soundscape, followed by deep LFE-distorted vocal intonations and a thumping MRI machine. This sequence is not only great for character, for being fully in Jim Terrier's shoes, but it also offers wonderful dynamic range.
The Hotel Boobytrap
Chapter 14: 01:10:30 - 01:12:31
Our protagonist Jim Terrier is a hunted man. Sneaking back into his hotel room, he finds it rigged with explosives and assassins watching him from across the street. Now's the time for Jim to set his own trap, to lure his enemies to their deaths. This fun sequence builds sonically, adding suspense with musical score, the audience hoping Jim can set the trap in time (and not kill himself in the process).
Finally, the big pay off... A wonderfully nuanced and complex explosion that ping pongs around side and rear channels before the sequence ends with a smattering of debris sprinkling downwards. It's all very dynamic. Very subtle. And very specific.
Then We Have Nothing to Talk About.
Chapter 16: 01:28:00 - 01:29:30
In the film's second act climax, Jim finds himself alone and underground with the man who tried to have him killed. With nothing left to say, the first gunshot goes off, attracting Henchmen who unleash auditory hell, chasing Jim around in a series of underground tunnels.
Gunshots are always great for testing your speakers' ability to reproduce lifelike sounds because they're percussive and sharp and cover a range of different frequencies. 'The Gunman', again living up to its own title, offers excellent-sounding weapon fire as well as articulate panning and placement as this shootout climaxes.
BONUS DEMO -- keep this scene running until 01:31:17. The shootout ends and is replaced with a cat n' most chase. It's more subtle, populated by dripping water and echoing footsteps, and culminates in another one of Jim's subjective POV head trauma / ears ringing sequences.
There we have it. The Top Five Dolby Atmos Demos for 'The Gunman'. What are some of your favorite Blu-ray demos? Let us know in the comments below.Continue Reading
Posted Tue Jun 30, 2015 at 08:01 AM PDT by
For June, we're covering a groundbreaking TV series, a fantastical animated adventure, and an action-packed spy flick.Continue Reading
Posted Tue Jun 30, 2015 at 08:00 AM PDT by
The second season of the classic TV series will now arrive on Blu-ray in August.Continue Reading
- Posted Tue Jun 30, 2015 at 06:00 AM PDT by Steven Cohen
Posted Mon Jun 29, 2015 at 01:30 PM PDT by
Michael S. Palmer
HDD was lucky enough to score tickets to last night's Los Angeles 'Terminator Genisys' premiereContinue Reading
Posted Mon Jun 29, 2015 at 12:30 PM PDT by
The distributor has revealed its upcoming slate of September releases, including Wes Anderson's 'Moonrise Kingdom' and James Ivory's 'A Room with a View.'Continue Reading
LATEST NEWS BLU-RAY
- 'Star Wars Rebels: Complete Season One' Dated for Blu-ray
- Lionsgate Details 'The Age of Adaline' Blu-ray
- HBO Releasing 'Game of Thrones' Dolby Atmos Blu-rays
- 'The Mutilator' Blu-ray Dated for September
- Hungarian Drama 'White God' Set for Blu-ray
- 'Jackie Chan's First Strike' & 'Rumble in the Bronx' Dated for Blu-ray
- 'Person of Interest: The Complete Fourth Season' Blu-ray Detailed
- 'Lost Soul: The Doomed Journey of Richard Stanley's Island of Dr. Moreau' Blu-ray Bound
- 'Jauja' Starring Viggo Mortensen Announced for Blu-ray
- Prepare for the Reveal of 'Call of Duty Black Ops III Zombie World' & the 'Black Ops III Collector's Editions' At Comic-Con International
- Team Razer Further Stokes Its Heavy Lineup of 'League of Legends' Teams, Lands SK Telecom T1
- 'Arkham Knight's Batgirl DLC Has A Release Date
- Nintendo Assures You, They're Not Killing The WiiU Anytime Soon
- Predator Release Date Revealed For 'Mortal Kombat X'
- It's A Deadly Cold Struggle: Impressions from the Xbox Preview of 'The Long Dark'
- Yeah, We Don't Know What The Heck Is Going On In This 'Trials Fusion' DLC Trailer Either
- 'Zelda: Ocarina of Time' Rides Again On WiiU
- Amazon Stealthily Giving Prime Members Discounts On Games
- Hulu Partners with Pluto TV for Free Streaming Content
- Sony Announces New Wireless Speakers, Prices Start at $300
- HDD's Home Theater Gear Guide for Graduates' First Apartments
- Acer Reveals 34-Inch Curved-Screen QHD Monitor for $1,099
- Marantz Details New DTS:X & Dolby Atmos Receivers, Prices Start at $699
- Apple Music Is Heading to Sonos Speakers Later This Year
- LG 4K Ultra HD OLED Wins 2015 Value Electronics TV Shootout
- Archos Readies HDMI PC Stick with Windows 10 for $99
- HDD Gear Deal Spotlight: Up to 69% off Headphones & Soundbars!
THE BONUS VIEW
- ‘Magic Mike XXL’ Review: More Mike, Less Magic
- ‘Penny Dreadful’ 2.09 Recap: “It Will Be Unholy Slaughter”
- ‘Zoo’ Pilot Recap: “Something Clearly Is Not Right Here”
- ‘Terminator Genisys’ Review: Guess What, He’s Back
- ‘Humans’ Pilot Recap: “30 Days Return, No Questions Asked”
- ‘Hannibal’ 3.09 Recap: “If I Had Lips, I Would Smile”
- ‘The Last Ship’ 2.03 Recap: “We Are the Chosen”
- ‘Mr. Robot’ Pilot Recap: “What I Wouldn’t Give to Be Normal”
- ‘True Detective’ 2.02 Recap: “We Get the World We Deserve”