The Legend of the Holy Drinker
- Street Date:
- September 26th, 2017
- Movie Release Year:
- Arrow Academy
- Release Country
- United States
Rutger Hauer, Anthony Quayle
Winner of the prestigious Golden Lion award at the Venice Film Festival, The Legend of the Holy Drinker is another classic from the great Italian director Ermanno Olmi (Il posto, The Tree of Wooden Clogs).
Adapted from the novella by Joseph Roth, the film tells the story of Andreas Kartack, a homeless man living under the bridges of Paris. Lent 200 francs by an anonymous stranger, he is determined to pay back his debt but circumstances – and his alcoholism – forever intervene.
Working with professional actors for the first time in more than 20 years, Olmi cast Rutger Hauer as Andreas and was rewarded with an astonishing performance of subtlety and depth. Hauer is joined by a superb supporting cast, including Anthony Quayle (Lawrence of Arabia), Sandrine Dumas (The Double Life of Veronique) and Dominique Pinon (Delicatessen).
- Brand new 4K restoration from the original negative, produced by Arrow Films exclusively for this release
- High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) and Standard Definition DVD presentations of both the English and Italian versions of the film
- First pressing only: New writing on the film by Helen Chambers, author of Joseph Roth in Retrospect: Co-existent Contradictions
- 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio and Stereo 2.0 options for the English presentation with optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard-of-hearing
- Stereo 2.0 audio for the Italian presentation with optional newly translated English subtitles
- English, English SDH
- Brand-new interview with actor Rutger Hauer, recorded exclusively for this release
- Interview with screenwriter Tullio Kezich
- Theatrical Trailer