The Love of a Woman
- Street Date:
- August 22nd, 2017
- Movie Release Year:
- Arrow Academy
- Release Country
- United States
The Love of a Woman (L'amour d'une femme) was the final feature of the great French filmmaker Jean Grémillon, concluding a string of classics that included such greats as Remorques, Lumiere d'eteand Pattes blanches.
Marie, a young doctor, arrives on the island of Ushant to replace its retiring physician. She experiences prejudice from the mostly male population, but also love in the form of engineer André.
Starring Micheline Presle, whose impressive career has encompassed French, Italian and Hollywood cinema, and Massimo Girotti, best-known for his performance in Luchino Visconti's Ossessione, The Love of a Woman is a sad, beautiful, romantic masterpiece.
- High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) and Standard Definition presentations of the feature, from materials supplied by Gaumont
- First pressing only:Illustrated collector's booklet featuring new writing on the film by critic Ginette Vincendeau
- French Uncompressed LPCM Mono
- In Search of Jean Gremillon, a feature-length documentary on the filmmaker from 1969, containing interviews with director Rene Clair, archivist Henri Langlois, actors Micheline Presle and Pierre Brasseur, and others
- Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Jennifer Dionisio