Treme: The Complete Series
- Street Date:
- January 28th, 2014
- Reviewed by:
- Aaron Peck
- Review Date: 1
- February 4th, 2014
- Movie Release Year:
- 2300 Minutes
- MPAA Rating:
- Release Country
- United States
The Movie Itself: Our Reviewer's Take
'Treme' has spent its life on HBO being overshadowed by everything else on HBO. It's a shame too. The word "underrated" gets thrown around too much, mostly in unfounded hyperbole, so, allow me to be hyperbolic for a moment and state that 'Treme' was probably the most underrated dramatic television show during its four-season run. It was a beautiful ode to one of America's most original and resilient cities. A testament to great food, amazing music, and tough people.
There's little to be gained by rehashing each season in this review. That's what the past reviews are for. This review is an encapsulation of 'Treme's 36 episodes. Below you will find each season review linked. So just follow the links to read the reviews.
All you need to know is that I always thought of 'Treme' as one of television's very best shows. Now that the final, complete series set is here, I still think that.
Blu-ray: Vital Disc Stats
The packaging is quite different from HBO's original packaging of the individual seasons. If you already bought, and enjoy HBO's foldout style packaging then you'll want to hold onto your old sets. This new set of discs is packed in slim keepcases. It's certainly a space saver for the shelves. Each season has its own keepcase. All the cases fit snugly into an outer cardboard shell. There are 15 discs in all (14 discs for episodes and one bonus disc for this release). All of the discs being 50GBs. The coding is indicated as being Region A.
The Video: Sizing Up the Picture
The Audio: Rating the Sound
The audio was always the highlight of each season. What great reproduction of the city's cultural musical influences. Every single season can be used to show of the technical prowess of your high-def sound system.
The Supplements: Digging Into the Good Stuff
For the season-specific features please see previous season reviews found below. However, there is an extra disc provided for this release that features a whole bunch of music videos. Details on the bonus disc can be found in the HD Bonus Content section.
HD Bonus Content: Any Exclusive Goodies in There?
- Musical Performances (HD, 71 min.) – Normally I would say that a disc featuring over an hour's worth of music videos is simply a waste of money. Though, as far as 'Treme' is concerned this bonus disc might be worth purchasing the complete series set. It's a fantastic collection of songs and performances that highlight the very best of music the show offered its audience. This is a chance to relive some of the best songs across the show's four seasons. The set list is as follows:
- "Canal Street" performed by John Boutte, Glen David Andrews, Paul Sanchez and Newbirth Brass Band
- "Big Chief Part 2" performed by Jon Cleary
- "Decoy" performed by Delmond Lambreaux Quartet
- "Feels Like Rain" performed by John Hiatt
- "From the Corner to the Block" performed by Galactic & Dirty Dozen Brass Band and Juvenile
- "Gold Watch and Chain" performed by Steve Earle and Lucia Micarelli
- "The Greatest Love" performed by Elvis Costello and Allen Toussaint
- "Homage a Poullard" performed by Pine Leaf Boys and Lucia Micarelli
- "Long Hard Journey Home" performed by The Radiators
- "Meanwhile" performed by Ivan Neville, Ian Neville and Dumpstaphunk
- "My Indian Red" performed by Dr. John
- "New Orleans After the City" performed by the Hot 8 Brass Band
- "Poison" performed by John Mooney and The Soul Rebels Brass Band
- "Road Home" performed by DJ Davis and The Brassy Knoll
- "Skokiaan" performed by Kermit Ruffins and The Barbecue Swingers
It's hard to recommend purchasing a new, expensive complete set if you've already been a loyal fan and purchased the individual seasons. The only thing that's new with this set is that musical performance bonus disc. Some may figure it's worth the investment, especially if they're able to sell the seasons they already own. However, if you're a fan of the show but have held off on buying the sets until a complete series presented itself then this is highly recommended. HBO has packaged each season in space-saving keepcases, has included a bonus disc, and hasn't changed anything that made the individual releases demo-quality.
- 15-Disc Set
- 1080p/AVC MPEG-4
- English DTS-HD MA 5.1
Exclusive HD Content
- Exclusive Bonus Disc with 15 Music Videos
All disc reviews at High-Def Digest are completed using the best consumer HD home theater products currently on the market. More
about our gear.
Puzzled by the technical jargon in our reviews, or wondering how we assess and rate HD DVD and Blu-ray discs? Learn about our review methodology.